Galaxy Forum Indian 2011 – Bangalore
Wed-Thu 8-9 September 2011 @ Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan and J. N. Planetarium
(Credit: ILOA, ISRO, NASA)
This national Galaxy Forum India was organized with the expert cooperation of the Bangalore Association For Science Education (BASE), the Government of Karnataka’s Department of Science and Technology, the Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium, and the International Lunar Observatory Association (ILOA). It brought together teachers from all over India and included resources and presenters from the highest levels of Indian astronomical science.
Former President of India, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, inaugurated the 2 day national event. Below are pictures from Galaxy Forum India 2011 – Bangalore: APJ Abdul Kalam (TL) ; Professor UR Rao (TR); 400+ Galaxy Forum Participants including 300 India teachers, government dignitaries, leading scientists and regional news media.
With the coordination and assistance of Dr. C. S. Shukre of JNP, and the express support of Professor U. R. Rao, Chairman of the Governing Council of the Physical Research Laboratory and former Chairman of the ISRO, the event was assured success.
The program of feature presentations included:
Prof. J. N. Goswami – Planetary Astronomy
Prof. Biman Nath – The Universe
Steve Durst – ILOA Missions Update
Prof. G. Rajasekaran – The elusive neutrinos and their importance in physics and astronomy
Prof. P. C. Agarwal – Space Astronomy
Prof. P. Venkatkrishnan – Solar Astronomy
There was also a panel discussion:
Perspectives on Astronomy Education in India
We are all looking forward to more useful strides as well as increasing social and commercial endeavors toward science education and space exploration.
Galaxy Forum India 2010 – Bangalore
Monday 9 August 2010 (9:30am – 4:30pm) @ the Nehru Planetarium
Special thanks to Nehru Planetarium Director Chandrakant Shukre, Prof UR Rao, BS Shylaja, PG Galgali, HR Madhusudan and KK Kutty for helping to organize, promote and host the event in Bangalore.
Reach for the stars – and the planetarium tells you how, Daily News and Analysis, Mumbai, 10 August 2010.
- Dr. CS Shukre, Director of Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium: Bangalore Association For Science Education (BASE)
- Prof UR Rao, Chairman, Bangalore Association for Science Education (BASE): Excitement in Astronomy (2.65 MB)
- Dr. CS Shukre, on behalf of Dr. Tarun Deep Saini (IISc), Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium: Our Place in the Milky Way and Beyond (3.52 MB)
- BS Shylaja, Associate Director Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium: The Milky Way — Our Galaxy (3.53 MB)
- Steve Durst, Space Age Publishing Company, International Lunar Observatory Association – Founder: International Lunar Observatory (ILO) Galaxy First Light Imaging Program (4.16 MB)
Included panel discussion on “Perspectives on Astronomy Education in India.”